Main Street-Science World Station Upgrades
Main Street-Science World Station is the oldest station on TransLink's rapid transit system. Located beside Science World, it was originally built in 1982 as a demonstration station for Expo '86, and is now one of the busiest stations on the system. The station has long been recognized as a priority for upgrades - it's one of the stations where accessibility upgrades are needed the most. The need to upgrade this station is part of the Expo Line Upgrade Strategy.
Pre-Construction Open House - What We Heard
On January 8, 2013, we held an open house detailing the upcoming station upgrade project. Participants were invited to learn more about the construction, timeline and service impacts for the necessary upgrades at Main Street-Science World Station. A questionnaire was handed out at the open house and it was also available online between Jan. 8 - 22, 2013. A summary of what we heard from respondents can be found in the Open House Questionnaire Summary.
Improvements at this station will allow us to deliver on our commitment to meet our accessibility standards, improve the transfer experience for passengers arriving by bus and increase the capacity of the Expo Line. The upgrades will also be coordinated with and allow for the installation of faregates.
We expect construction to start in early 2013 and finish in 2014. Some of the upgrades you can expect include:
- An expanded east station house
- Escalator and elevator access to the platform at the east entrance
- Reconfigured west station house with direct escalator access to the platform from street level
- Additional station retail locations
- Security improvements
- Open station design with better lighting and visibility
- Enhanced customer amenities and commissioned art work
Phase 1 Winter 2013 – Fall 2013
- East side of station (park side) will be temporarily closed.
- Passengers will be re-directed to the west side of the station (Science World side) via covered walkway and temporary fencing.
- Contractor will build permanent extension to the east side platform and new east side station house featuring a new elevator, escalators and bike storage.
- Contractor will perform some work at night due to safety concerns and traffic regulations.
- SkyTrain service: normal.
Phase 2 Fall 2013 to Summer 2014
- West side of station (Science World side) will be temporarily closed.
- Passengers will be re-directed to the east side of the station (park side).
- Contractor will rebuild west side station house including new elevator and retail spaces.
- SkyTrain service will operate normally with the exception of Fall 2013 to Winter 2014 (4 months) when SkyTrain will operate Main Street Science World shuttle train service.
- Shuttle trains: Two-car trains will provide service to/from Main Street - Science World Station via Waterfront and Commercial-Broadway Stations.
- The shuttle trains will stop as normal at Waterfront, Burrard, Granville, Stadium-Chinatown, Main Street-Science World and Commercial-Broadway stations.
- Passengers travelling to/from Main Street-Science World Station should plan for up to 10 minutes of extra travel time.
- All other trains will operate normally with the exception of Main Street-Science World Station which will become a "skip stop". i.e. trains will move through the station without stopping.
*Upgrade schedule is subject to change.
These station upgrades are funded by TransLink and the federal and provincial governments. For background information about upgrades taking place at this station, visit our Expo Line Upgrade Strategy page.