Our AirCare Program has reduced vehicle emissions by 31%.
TransLink is committed to the reduction of impacts from vehicle emissions through its ability to influence the use of vehicles in the region. TransLink is uniquely positioned to help reduce emission impacts that occur with the transportation of people and goods.
To meet this commitment, TransLink will work cooperatively with municipalities, partners and other stakeholders to:
- encourage walking, bicycling and carpooling as modes of choice through funding programs and support of initiatives that promote and enhance these modes as viable and desirable alternatives to automobile use;
- enhance transit’s ability to be a mode of choice by providing transit services that are a viable and desirable alternative to automobile use;
- implement transportation demand management strategies and programs;
- manage congestion and ease the movement of goods and services;
- implement the actions outlined in the current 10-Year Plan;
- ensure that vehicles in the region operate close to their design emission standards by operating emission inspection and maintenance programs as directed by the provincial government; and
- support Metro Vancouver's Livable Region Strategic Plan and the goals and strategies of Metro Vancouver's Air Quality Management Plan.
TransLink recognizes that its own fleet of vehicles, rail cars and vessels must seek opportunities to reduce emission impacts. We will continue to seek cost effective, technologically viable, short and long term solutions that will improve air quality and at the same time maintain safe, economically viable transportation choices for residents
To meet this commitment, TransLink will:
- surpass applicable emission regulations and standards in the procurement of
new fleet vehicles and vessels;
- seek continuous improvement in emissions from the existing fleet by retrofitting or replacing existing equipment and using cleaner fuels;
- continue to investigate the feasibility of alternative fuels and technologies;
- increase the fuel and energy efficiency of the TransLink fleet;
- adopt accepted environmental practices and implement best management practices to reduce emission impacts;
- monitor and report on progress toward achieving fleet emissions objectives; and
- ensure that fleet emission policies and actions are compatible with Metro Vancouver's Livable Region Strategic Plan and the goals and strategies of Metro Vancouver's Air Quality Management Plan.
TransLink has developed an emissions policy to address its own influence on the region-wide transportation system. We strive to meet the challenge of reducing our vehicle emissions in the pursuit of improved air quality while providing better transportation choices for residents.
TransLink's Emissions Policy